Sidney Kelly (born Appledore 1879) was captain of the Waiwera from 1915. In 1917 a torpedo
fired from a German submarine missed her when she was off the Lizard. In 1926 she was sold
to Ellerman Bucknall Line and renamed 'City of Pretoria'. In 1928 she was sold for £11,000
and scrapped at Barrow.
Waiwera was built in 1898/9 by William Denny & Brothers of Dumbarton and Lloyds Register list her details as follows:
Ships No. 110243, SteelSc3MstSr, 6237 Tons, 425.7 feet long, 54.1 feet breadth, 29.8 feet depth. Built for Shaw Saville & Albion Co. She was built with a cargo capacity of 80,000 carcasses.
In 1899 on October 1st, she sailed from Wellington with the first contingent of New Zealand troops to fight in the Boer War.
| || |